« Home | The sheepish follow-up » | A load of sweaty old bollocks » | Tales from the gym » | Nice weather for penguins » | She said what? » | Guess what I did? » | The imaginatively named New Year Post » | Pussy » | What is the world coming to? » | Red, red wine » 

Sunday, February 04, 2007 

From the mouths of children

*Today I am mostly listening to: The Seahorses – Happiness Is Egg shaped*

I’ve been out to lunch today for my Aunts 60th birthday. We went to Cambridge’s poshest hotel (or so they say), and my Uncle had gone to the extravagance of booking a private room for the afternoon. The wait staff were excellent; and if you ignore the heathens who sent their roast beef back to be burnt to a crisp, the food was pretty goods as well.

One of my personal highlights was the speech made by my cousin’s 8 year old son (I guess that also makes him my cousin?). He announced to the whole room "I’d like to wish Grandma a happy 60th birthday, and although she may be crinkly & wrinkly, I still love her". Ah, bless. However, this obviously didn’t go down well with my Aunt (who is clearly not happy about reaching the ripe old age of 60). She stood up and said, "I’d like to thanks you all for coming, and I’d just like to announce to you all that my grandson has gone gay". Well, would you ever? "Gone gay"? What could she possibly mean? I can only presume that when you reach 60, that’s meant as an insult to a Manchester United-obsessed 8 year old. He obviously thinks a bit quicker than his father though (I’m afraid I haven’t liked my cousin for a long time now, but that’s another story), and he came back with a quiet, but just loud enough, "At least I’m not crinkly and wrinkly".

'Gay' is what little boys call each other in the playground, so the eight year old would no doubt have taken this as a serious insult! Of course, adults can't call each other this or else they'll be sued by the Political Correctness police! Nice blog and cool, I like marmite on toast too! :)

Post a Comment