« Home | Nice weather for penguins » | She said what? » | Guess what I did? » | The imaginatively named New Year Post » | Pussy » | What is the world coming to? » | Red, red wine » | Cigarettes and alcohol (and other such substances) » | I’d like to teach the world to sing. Apparently. » | Lots to see and lots to do (and lots to write about) » 

Saturday, January 27, 2007 

Tales from the gym

Today I am mostly listening to: Coldcut – Walk A Mile In These Shoes (as heard at The Big Chill August 2006)

I actually went and did it. I actually made it to the gym yesterday. And as a reward, I let myself have a sun bed. So now I’m a lovely shade of pink, which will hopefully die down a bit before my next visit.

Anyway, my gym has had another makeover & they’ve gone all London wine bar this time. There’s all this mauvey/pinky/purpley lighting & it’s a bit kind of darker than it used to be (which is probably a good thing; at least I can’t see the blood vessels pumping in the side my red & sweaty face). The nice wooden floors are still the same & the off-white walls don’t seem to have changed, but it’s just full of this wine bar lighting. In front of the big scary wall length mirror they used to have these 5 TV’s, and you could plug your headphones into a magic little box on your chosen piece of equipment, and instead of listening to the banging house tunes, you could watch, MTV, BBC 1 or Sky Pports, or whatever the gym monkey had chosen that day. Well, they’ve got rid of the 5 TV’s & replaced them with 3 widescreen ones. And they all seemed to be on MTV. Which was odd.

So not only have they changed the décor, they’ve cunningly added a few new pieces of cardio equipment & taken a few favourites away. So that confused me. They also used to have this big chunky monitor thingy that you put your gym key into & loaded your workout onto. As I couldn’t see it through the door, I thought they’d probably moved it, but no, they’ve got rid of it completely & now have these little flat screen monitor thingys. (I found them after cunningly following some one else in & watching them sign in). All the weights appear to be the same, well perhaps I should say that all the weight I use appear to be the same. So in light of all this new equipment I thought it best if I booked a programme review. At least I’ll know how to use things properly then. But I didn’t let the new scary equipment stop me from doing a mini-workout. Oh no, I’m made of stronger stuff than that. I happily sweated my arse off for three quarters of an hour. And I know it must have had some effect as me bingo wings are a bit sore today.

Pink at the gym (and honestly, it's not just an excuse to post another picture of Pink...)