« Home | Pussy » | What is the world coming to? » | Red, red wine » | Cigarettes and alcohol (and other such substances) » | I’d like to teach the world to sing. Apparently. » | Lots to see and lots to do (and lots to write about) » | A question of monogamy » | Alright now » | Reasons to be cheerful... Or not... » | Pink » 

Sunday, January 07, 2007 

The imaginatively named New Year Post

Today I am mostly listening to: Paul Weller – Early Morning Rain

Well, here it finally is, my first (proper) post of 2007. And once again, it’s been a while since I managed to post anything of much interest here (I seem to say that an awful lot!). Not sure why, but I’m gonna put it down to a lack of creativity & the fact that I was actually pretty busy before Christmas.

So, where do I start? Christmas wasn’t too bad, thanks very much. I spent the weekend before the big day with the Mrs, which was really nice. It included a lot of drinking & our own early Christmas. Oh and also some strumming on Guitar Hero & some screeching on Singstar. My first effort on Guitar Hero wasn’t actually that bad, but it went decidedly downhill after that. And well, I don’t think I really want to even talk about Singstar...

Christmas with the family was quite nice. Atomic Rosie & myself went for our usual Christmas morning bike ride (6.5 miles don’t you know). We normally come back to the house to find a drunken mother, but this year she’d decided to wait to open the champagne until we were home. Which was nice.

Present highlights included some firming body-wash (is my aunt trying to tell me something?), an iTrip type thingy (which I desperately needed, the CD player in my car is knackered), Kath & Kim Series 2 DVD (ya hornbag), and also a matching place mat & drinks mat from another aunt (how strange was that?!). I also treated myself to a Pink Nintendo DS. Yes, I couldn’t resist it any more; I thought sod the expense and went ahead & bought one. So far I’ve only got Zoo Tycoon DS (which has kept me occupied for hours), but I do have the ever-popular Brain Training on order (and boy do I need that).

The normally slow period between Christmas & New Year was spent at Atomic Rosie’s new pied à terre. I had the enjoyable task of building the Ikea furniture. Honestly, call me a freak if you must, but I actually quite enjoy building Ikea furniture. It’s the obsessive compulsive in me. I like the fact I can group together & line up all the screws, widgets & other useful Swedish items, then follow the simple instructions and produce a piece of functioning furniture at the end. She knows what I’m like so I think that’s why she gave me the job.


Ikea even do kitchen appliances! Here's one I made earlier

So, after a busy few days at Atomic Rosie’s, I made my way down the motorway to the Mrs for New Year for more fun, frivolity & alcohol. She’d decided to have a get together for New Year, so after a few trips to Tesco, we decorated the house & spent an awful lot of time preparing party food. Despite a promise of attendance, the Poisoned Scot didn’t turn up (apparently she’d been out the night before & was still to rough to manage New Years Eve; as if. I mean who goes out the night before New Years Eve & can’t actually manage the big event? I reckon she’s just playing games again). It wasn’t a problem to me, but I knew the Mrs was annoyed. It would have just been nice to know before 7pm, but there you go.

Despite the lack of a Poisoned Scot (I’ve never really liked her), the night was pretty good & I’m glad we spent it with the friends we did. More Guitar Hero was played (thank God, no Singstar) & an awful lot of alcohol was consumed. I eventually gave in to tiredness at about 3 am & left the Mrs and the South African playing Guitar Hero. However, I was woken up a couple of hours later to be told that the Mrs was walking the South African home. And this is where it all went weird. It turned into another birthday night/weekend to forget...

I’ve got a fair idea of what causes it, but bloody hell, it freaks me out when it happens. Apparently I was a member of the Royal family who was happy to let the Mrs buy all the alcohol, even though she was very poor but intelligent accountant (I’d more than contributed to the alcohol & food fund for the night & she’s not an accountant, although she is intelligent), and her current girlfriend was actually the evil-ex and not me (she hasn’t been with her ex for 3 years). Those were the edited highlights, and I feel a little bit too scarred to talk about the rest. So what was a nice night, turned into a bit of a freaky night/morning in the end.

Anyway, we’re all right now (well until the next time) and that’s all that matters. So there you go, that was my wonderful Christmas & New Year. Oh, and I haven’t made any resolutions (I’m sure they’re just a marketing campaign), I just plan to lose weight in time for the holiday in February and blog a bit more!